Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hagelin suspended 3 games
Rangerland Forum > Sports > New York Rangers Hockey
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
LisaLisa
QUOTE(Mike B. @ Apr 16 2012, 12:07 AM) *
QUOTE(Kusand @ Apr 16 2012, 12:02 AM) *
QUOTE(SorryaboutthatWhoa @ Apr 15 2012, 11:57 PM) *
Well that and it would seem Hagelin was punished because Daniel was supposedly injured, and he's not. I'm not saying I wish he was injured, and I'm not screaming for his blood tomorrow or anything else that others are. I'm simply saying if a guy is punished for an injury, there should be, ya know, an injury.

Shrug. Inconsistency, in my book. Suspending Hagelin is totally valid, the problem is they're not consistent due to the injury nonsense. If they really meant it about head injuries - and at this point I would happily agree they don't mean it at all - then injury shouldn't be involved.

Spector made a great point about this on the radio just now - you can't always punish to the injury with head shots, because a lot of times you don't know the extent of the injury for a while. He used Marc Staal as an example (not suggesting that Eric's hit was suspendable, just that Marc seemed fine at the time). He also mentioned that Weber broke Zetterberg's helmet. So by some lucky fluke, Z didn't show visible signs of injury, but what if it comes out later? There is enough evidence to show that head injuries are cumulative over the course of a player's career, even if any single incident isn't debilitating.

Yeah, he made a solid point with those examples. Which shows the stupidity of the NHL with punishing the result instead of the action. Punishing the action would give the suspensions meaning and they'd have an impact. After today, it's clear they mean nothing. emot-jerkbag.gif
jkman61494
Yes, i know this is a Bleacher Report article, but the guy does a good job giving some twitter posts from both local and national media.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1146552...w-on-alfredsson
acqant
My story book ending to all of this.

Rangers win the cup at home. Bettmen takes the mic and as soon as he starts talking they turn it off and Cally takes the cup for a lap around the rink.

Even better if Torts is the one who pulls the plug.
xcdude
I am just so angry and confused right now. But I think its been debated at nausea. LETS JUST FUCKING WIN TONIGHT AND MAKE THE SENATORS CRY BY HURTING THEIR FEELINGS. CAN WE GET SUSPENDED FOR THAT?
Hockey101
I think this just proved that Shanahan is just a fucking dick and is a further embarrassment. Carkner just getting a game for punching Boyle like....10 times out of nowhere just makes it okay to do so for a goon. Bitz's hit on Clifford was much worse and he got two. Weber just got a pathetic fine.

Shanahan,..... stick to retirement, you fucking asshole. I hope if he is ever seen at MSG he gets booed like crazy.

And the Rangers should have appealed it. They have an excellent case for it too.
TeamStewie
QUOTE(acqant @ Apr 16 2012, 01:36 AM) *
My story book ending to all of this.

Rangers win the cup at home. Bettmen takes the mic and as soon as he starts talking they turn it off and Cally takes the cup for a lap around the rink.

Even better if Torts is the one who pulls the plug.

My dream is him getting stoned before he even reaches the ice.
HDH
I'm probably most unqualified to make the following statement given my well-documented bias against him, but....

Where the fuck is Glen Sather? Isn't this guy a Hall of Fame general manager, coach of the greatest teams and players in the history of the NHL? And he doesn't have ANY clout with Bettman or this league? The best we can do is issue a "we're thoroughly perplexed" statement and go rolling into Canada sure to be on the ass end of the Refs calls all night?

Mike18
QUOTE(HDH @ Apr 16 2012, 07:02 AM) *
I'm probably most unqualified to make the following statement given my well-documented bias against him, but....

Where the fuck is Glen Sather? Isn't this guy a Hall of Fame general manager, coach of the greatest teams and players in the history of the NHL? And he doesn't have ANY clout with Bettman or this league? The best we can do is issue a "we're thoroughly perplexed" statement and go rolling into Canada sure to be on the ass end of the Refs calls all night?

The Rangers goal is to win the cup, not to appease fans who will say "Way to go, Glen. You told him. Bettman's a boob".

Getting the league office and referee's upset at you for calling them out in public after 2 games of the playoffs isn't the way to go. They'd be best served by handling this behind the scenes.

I obviously can't be sure that anything is happening behind the scenes, or that Glen himself is involved. But, after everything that's gone on in the playoffs so far, and the general reaction by fans and media alike to how it's been handled, there's no doubt that there are high level discussions about all of it.
leedsy99
QUOTE(Hockey101 @ Apr 16 2012, 03:00 AM) *
And the Rangers should have appealed it. They have an excellent case for it too.

Based on what? It was a forearm hit straight to the head on a formerly concussed elite player. The league dished out five-game suspensions during the season for similar shots. And there is no way that it was worse than Bitz's hit, for the simple fact that Bitz didn't hit anyone in the head.

But the more I watch the Carkner play, the more angrier I get over things. EJ Hradek made the point that Carkner effectively got two games because of the game misconduct penalty attached. Fine, but then also mention that the Rangers lost a much more significant player in Brandon Dubinsky for jumping in to protect a helpless player getting mercilessly beat on. That injustice should be considered too, if we're considering everything. Also, Carkner played 29 games this season, with three points total. He entire purpose of being in the lineup was to jump someone on the Rangers, which he did within two minutes of the game's start. If the Rangers went up 3-1 and decided to dress John Scott, who immediately jumps Chris Neil and wails his face ten times before he can even react, would he get one game? Lastly, most pundits are making the point that this was retaliation for Boyle's shots on Erik Karlsson. Really? Glorified face-washes? Really?

But, hey, moving on. Rangers need to get more pucks toward the net and their defense needs to get more involved in the offense. Win the series, because no one will care otherwise.
TeamStewie
QUOTE(leedsy99 @ Apr 16 2012, 07:10 AM) *
QUOTE(Hockey101 @ Apr 16 2012, 03:00 AM) *

Based on what? It was a forearm hit straight to the head on a formerly concussed elite player. The league dished out five-game suspensions during the season for similar shots. And there is no way that it was worse than Bitz's hit, for the simple fact that Bitz didn't hit anyone in the head.

Well theoretically they should've appealed for basing it on an injury that is likely nonexistent but it really doesn't matter. They probably would've just tacked on another game for wasting their time. It's not like there is any credible appeals process in place.
SATS
QUOTE(leedsy99 @ Apr 16 2012, 07:10 AM) *
Based on what?

IMO, the fact that they based it on a non existent injury. Again, can we get Neil thrown out for the rest of the series if he hits Gaborik in the third period and he goes down and the Rangers decide to send him to the locker room for the remainder of the game?

"Well NHL, there was an injury and Neil has a history, so he should get at least 3 games, right?"

I'm not saying Alfreddson was faking it, I'm pointing out how dumb the current system actually is.
Alitaki
Shanny on WFAN at 8:15 to explain why he's a pussy.
SATS
Someone just said that he's basically defending carkner saying he tried to get Boyle t fit and Boyle said no and absorbed punches to the stomach and skated away? Like its Bowles fault he didn't man up and fight or something?

Hagelins suspension based on injury...HE'S PLAYING TONIGHT!!!! Even if you Want to say that Daniel lost time, the 3 rd period equals three games!!?!!

From what I'm hearing, he's not saying a damned thing t change my opinion on his idiotic decisions.
SATS
Wow, carton supposedly calling out shanahan. I think he's an idiotic asshole that no one should listen to, but I guess it's good a non hockey person is doing the interview, because he doesn't have to hide behind some veil of respect.

At the same time, I guarantee when shannys gone, carton says something like "this is why the NHL doesn't do well..."and then rails on it before forcing the subject to baseball.
toph
MSG just tweeted that Hagelin's suspension could be reduced if Alfredsson plays tonight. So there's that.
TeamStewie
OMG Zipay just tweeted that Hags might get less if Alfie plays tonight. Someone is feeling the heat!
jkman61494
hat injustice should be considered too, if we're considering everything. Also, Carkner played 29 games this season, with three points total. He entire purpose of being in the lineup was to jump someone on the Rangers, which he did within two minutes of the game's start. If the Rangers went up 3-1 and decided to dress John Scott, who immediately jumps Chris Neil and wails his face ten times before he can even react, would he get one game?

This is what I have been saying and what upsets me the most. I've thought since the moment the hit occurred, Carl was getting at least 2 games with a max of 5. But not only did Carkner just get one, it now is telling teams around the league that you can insert a goon and profit from it.

By putting Carkner into the lineup, the Sens got to tee off on Boyle and managed to get another guy thrown out in Dubinsky. I just wouldn't be surprised if other teams do that at this point since they can see there are no major repercussions. Hell, Carkner can do it again now in Game 4.

And the thing that still enrages me more than Hagelin's suspension is Dubi's 3rd man in. If they call it there, it should be called every single time there's a scrum involving numerous people. To single out Dubinsky in that instance as a 3rd man in was absolutely horrid. I normally don't condone water cooler tosses and what not, but he had every single right to be that upset. What he should have done is go try and throw some Senator's head through the glass when leaving the rink. After all, that would have only gotten $2,500 right?

Whatever, let's go Rangers. beavisnbutthead.gif
Paul Smachetti
QUOTE(toph @ Apr 16 2012, 08:34 AM) *
MSG just tweeted that Hagelin's suspension could be reduced if Alfredsson plays tonight. So there's that.

Has this ever happened before? I don't recall a suspension ever being reduced because it was determined the player really wasn't hurt. Are they now changing the rules as they go? This is just as ridiculous as the suspension itself. Is Shanahan bowing to public opinion? He's catching a lot of flak from the media . What a joke!
toph
QUOTE(Paul Smachetti @ Apr 16 2012, 08:46 AM) *

Has this ever happened before? I don't recall a suspension ever being reduced because it was determined the player really wasn't hurt. Are they now changing the rules as they go? This is just as ridiculous as the suspension itself. Is Shanahan bowing to public opinion? He's catching a lot of flak from the media . What a joke!

Agreed. What a mess they've made. Again.
jkman61494
You know, I ranted that the players share the responsibility, and they do. But at this point, how on earth could they know what's a 2 minute penalty, and what's a 4 game suspension? IF this is indeed true then as a Ranger fan I'm very very happy.

As a HOCKEY fan? I think Shanahan should be fired after the first round of the playoffs because he clearly is in over his head. As much as we raged on Campbell, he never made this big of a mess.

The only way this could possibly be sold to people is the league is now going to match a suspension by a person's injury I.e. If he plays, so does Hagelin. If Daniel is out until December, so is Hagelin. I'm not saying it's good in any way, but if this MSG tweet is true, that is what this sounds like.
Chris
QUOTE(SorryaboutthatWhoa @ Apr 16 2012, 12:31 PM) *
At the same time, I guarantee when shannys gone, carton says something like "this is why the NHL doesn't do well..."and then rails on it before forcing the subject to baseball.

And he will rightfully so say that. The NHL is never in a position to look like a circus clown when its the little brother of the major sports. If you tuned into NBC yesterday and you're not a hockey fan, you saw something I'm not proud to say is my favorite thing in the world.
Knight of Dight
QUOTE(TeamStewie @ Apr 16 2012, 07:36 AM) *
OMG Zipay just tweeted that Hags might get less if Alfie plays tonight. Someone is feeling the heat!

So, as a result the Senators are going to scratch Alfie tonight, citing some bullshit "He was still feeling a little woozy."
jkman61494
In theory that makes sense KOD, but as much as we love Hagelin and how important he is, I think the Sens would gladly have their captain in action even if it meant Hagelin sits. They can't screw around in a playoff series when every game matters.

While Carl may be valuable to us, Alfredsson is their captain who had 59 points this year.
Alitaki
QUOTE(toph @ Apr 16 2012, 08:47 AM) *
QUOTE(Paul Smachetti @ Apr 16 2012, 08:46 AM) *

Agreed. What a mess they've made. Again.

You didnt see the memo? It should be filed somewhere along with the one about Brett Hull's skate.
leedsy99
QUOTE(Knight of Dight @ Apr 16 2012, 08:58 AM) *

So, as a result the Senators are going to scratch Alfie tonight, citing some bullshit "He was still feeling a little woozy."

Really?
leedsy99
QUOTE(jkman61494 @ Apr 16 2012, 08:50 AM) *
As a HOCKEY fan? I think Shanahan should be fired after the first round of the playoffs because he clearly is in over his head. As much as we raged on Campbell, he never made this big of a mess.

Really?
Paul Smachetti
QUOTE(leedsy99 @ Apr 16 2012, 09:17 AM) *

Really?

clapping.gif
Alitaki
M-I-C
K-E-Y
M-O-U-S-E!
jkman61494

Really?

Yes really.

How can the players, the fans and the league itself have any confidence in the decision making process of Shanahan at this point? He campaigns to end head shots but doesn't suspend Weber and now there are notes in several NHL articles, that players took that as a sign that it's pretty much anything goes.

He suspends a repeat offender one game for assaulting another player, but then assigns a 3 game ban on a first time offender for what was a careless, but high head shot hit.

Now, there are murmurs he may make an unprecedented move and reduce the suspension based on the fact a player's injury isn't as bad.

He's causing a ton of confusion amongst the players, making fans of almost every single team irate, and his decisions are noq embarrassing the league and putting them under a microscope. If you heard the news tomorrow that Shanahan was relieved of his duties and re-assigned within the league offices, there are many justifiable reasons why it happened.
Display Name

Really?

QUOTE(Larry Brooks)
In a couple of months, Shanahan has become the object of as much ridicule and derision as it took his predecessor years to accumulate.

http://twitter.com/#!/NYP_Brooksie
Paul Smachetti
QUOTE(jkman61494 @ Apr 16 2012, 09:25 AM) *

Really?

Yes really.

How can the players, the fans and the league itself have any confidence in the decision making process of Shanahan at this point? He campaigns to end head shots but doesn't suspend Weber and now there are notes in several NHL articles, that players took that as a sign that it's pretty much anything goes.

He suspends a repeat offender one game for assaulting another player, but then assigns a 3 game ban on a first time offender for what was a careless, but high head shot hit.

Now, there are murmurs he may make an unprecedented move and reduce the suspension based on the fact a player's injury isn't as bad.

He's causing a ton of confusion amongst the players, making fans of almost every single team irate, and his decisions are noq embarrassing the league and putting them under a microscope. If you heard the news tomorrow that Shanahan was relieved of his duties and re-assigned within the league offices, there are many justifiable reasons why it happened.

He's been in the position less than a year. They're not firing him. That would mean admitting they made a mistake. In theory putting Shanahan in this position was a smart move and they're not going to scrap it and start over after only 1 season.They'll tweak it but that's it. I think it can be a good thing if they create some consistency in their rulings. They need to get rid of the injury variable when assessing suspensions and have strict guidelines so there are no grey areas.
leedsy99
QUOTE(SorryaboutthatWhoa @ Apr 16 2012, 08:12 AM) *
Again, can we get Neil thrown out for the rest of the series if he hits Gaborik in the third period and he goes down and the Rangers decide to send him to the locker room for the remainder of the game?

If Neil hit Gaborik would a flagrant elbow/forearm to the head and Gaborik skated off the ice without returning, Neil wouldn't get three games. He would get 5-10, due to past incidents and the context of the series.

I don't like this "non-existent" injury talk. I'm intrigued to see where this suspension issue potentially goes, but I don't like the insinuation that just because someone is playing (particularly with a concussion), it means that they weren't injured. I think that when you factor in injuries when distributing league discipline/justice (which I agree with), these situations are going to occur. But what happens if they shave off some time to Hagelin because Alfredsson plays tonight, only he can't make it through a period? Do they reinstate it?

Hagelin fucked up. It was an unnecessary headshot to a vulnerable elite player. Three games is appropriate. I'm more bothered (extremely bothered, actually) by the logic behind the Carkner suspension. He attacked Boyle and fought him in a cowardly style. It looks even worse if it's retaliation for Boyle's rabbit punches the previous game, because now it was premeditated. Like I said, if Prust does the same thing to Chris Neil tonight, is it one game? Probably not. Carkner should have gotten five (the series) and his coach fined for putting him out there to do that.
Dunc
I think Hagelin is the first rookie in years to get 3 games for his first incident. Brad Marchand got only two for a pretty much identical play his rookie year and that was regular season.

It was no accident that the Senators waited until after the suspension to release the news of Alfreddsons' game status - they clearly played Shanny.

Hagelin deserved a suspension - 2 games during the regular season was appropriate - 3 playoff games stinks of further retaliation against the Rangers club for something.
Beamer
QUOTE(leedsy99 @ Apr 16 2012, 09:16 AM) *
QUOTE(Knight of Dight @ Apr 16 2012, 08:58 AM) *

Really?

It's reverse reverse reverse psychology! Genius!
HDH
Katie Strang reports Shanahan confirms suspension stays 3 game regardless of Alfie's status.

Ree calls her out regarding his statements on WFAN.

I didnt hear the interview, what did he say exactly?
Paul Smachetti
QUOTE(HDH @ Apr 16 2012, 09:49 AM) *
Katie Strang reports Shanahan confirms suspension stays 3 game regardless of Alfie's status.

As bad as this is , if he was to change the suspension this would become even more of a circus and make him look even more foolish than he already looks.
ree

First of all, anything that incompetent hag says just infuriates me. Why people follow her is beyond me.

Shanny was asked if Alfredsson plays tonight, will Hags get a reduced suspension. Shanahan NEVER said no.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/04/16/bre...angers-hagelin/

Doesn't sound like a definite no to me, Katie Strang.
LisaLisa
The Rangers just need to go out tonight and win. If Ottawa tries to start some sh!t, just skate away. If they aren't trying to challenge guys named Rupp, Prust or Bickel, then their tough-guy act is a fallacy, and the Rangers don't need any part of it. I just hope that Cally and Dubi (especially Dubi) can contain their tempers.
Dunc
QUOTE(Paul Smachetti @ Apr 16 2012, 06:54 AM) *

As bad as this is , if he was to change the suspension this would become even more of a circus and make him look even more foolish than he already looks.

Actually, it wouldn't at all be out of line since Shanny always factors in whether an injury occurs - he even cites it in his video suspension breakdowns. Normally, a suspension doesn't offer an opportunity to benefit the team of the 'victim' player, but playoffs changes that, and I can see a team holding a (lesser) player out and/or claiming an injury in order to get a good opposing player out longer.

Not saying this applies to Alfredsson, but it just shows another problem with Shanny's methodology.
leetchie69
In the Shanahan interview with B&C he mentioned that suspensions should use injury as a contributing factor per the CBA.

One thing I didn't like was when Boomer tried to bring up the Phillips elbow to Callahan.
Shanahan said it wasn't an elbow....what was the penalty again Shanny? Oh right...

When was the last time a player got a penalty for elbowing someone in the shoulder?

What a sham.
ree
QUOTE(LisaLisa @ Apr 16 2012, 09:59 AM) *
The Rangers just need to go out tonight and win. If Ottawa tries to start some sh!t, just skate away. If they aren't trying to challenge guys named Rupp, Prust or Bickel, then their tough-guy act is a fallacy, and the Rangers don't need any part of it. I just hope that Cally and Dubi (especially Dubi) can contain their tempers.

Dubi more so than Cally.

I don't think Torts is going to let these guys go out there and just start racking up fighting majors or like we saw on Saturday, possible ejections. I'd like to see them play some smart hockey tonight, regardless of whatever goonery Ottawa starts to display.
TeamStewie
QUOTE(ree @ Apr 16 2012, 10:04 AM) *
Dubi more so than Cally.

I don't think Torts is going to let these guys go out there and just start racking up fighting majors or like we saw on Saturday, possible ejections. I'd like to see them play some smart hockey tonight, regardless of whatever goonery Ottawa starts to display.

I mentioned that in the other thread. When I was watching the game yesterday I couldn't even begin to imagine Torts letting the team get as out of hand as the Pens did. He's benched people consistently for stupid penalties like those.
ree
The fact that there are fans that want them to dress John Scott for the sole purpose of knocking one of the Senators out cold just disgusts me.
TeamStewie
I look at Scott as a preventative measure. If the Sens try anything stupid we can have him take care of business without losing someone who's actually useful.
ree
I'm all for dressing John Scott for precautionary measures - just as long as the Rangers don't come out swinging fists and lowering themselves first.
Kusand
QUOTE(TeamStewie @ Apr 16 2012, 10:17 AM) *
I look at Scott as a preventative measure. If the Sens try anything stupid we can have him take care of business without losing someone who's actually useful.

You know, other than whoever he replaces on the active roster for the game.
xcdude
Is Kreider playing?!?!?
ree
No decision yet. Chill out.
TeamStewie
QUOTE(Kusand @ Apr 16 2012, 10:27 AM) *
QUOTE(TeamStewie @ Apr 16 2012, 10:17 AM) *

You know, other than whoever he replaces on the active roster for the game.

Does anyone other than Torts think Mitchell is useful?
SATS
QUOTE(leedsy99 @ Apr 16 2012, 09:39 AM) *
I don't like this "non-existent" injury talk. I'm intrigued to see where this suspension issue potentially goes, but I don't like the insinuation that just because someone is playing (particularly with a concussion), it means that they weren't injured. I think that when you factor in injuries when distributing league discipline/justice (which I agree with), these situations are going to occur. But what happens if they shave off some time to Hagelin because Alfredsson plays tonight, only he can't make it through a period? Do they reinstate it?

I get you and Kusand's point, but when Shanahan explicitly says that the Hagelin penalty was based on INJURY and then that player plays, it rubs me the wrong way. To me, If Alfredsson plays, he wasn't injured, he was hurt. If someone knocks the wind out of me and I'm taken off the ice, no one says I was injured during play, they say I was hurt during play.

Don't tell me a player is suspended due to injury, and then the effected player PLAYS. Again, hurting a player for the second half of a third period now constitutes missing three playoff games?

You all know I call the conspiracy people out regularly for their ridiculousness. That being said, I think ottawa purposefully didn't say anything about Daniel's status until after the suspension, and THAT sets a bad precedent. You base these things on "injuries" and you allow teams to work the system competitively.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.